Saturday 5 December 2015

Schmatte

The WOTD is Schmatte, meaning ' an old ragged garmet; a tattered article of clothing'. Now of course, I wouldn't know anything about that, as all my clothes are delightfully new. I only wish that were the case, but it made me think about items of clothing that I have loved so much, I wore them to pieces.
I remember a pair of stretch cord leggings that I wore in Greece. They weren't the most flattering garment but they were sooooo comfortable, I wore them until they disintegrated. Here they are, walking up through the fields back to our lodging. 



I have night clothes that are comfortable old favourites and I wait until they are full of holes and  Neil has to beg me to throw them out and buy new. 

I have had a great day today, getting all my admin work done early, seeing Jacob who finished tiling work, in fact the toilet is finished, just a few extra jobs in the bathroom. I will post before and after pictures for your enjoyment in a few days' time. Neil changed some light fittings round for me so I have the bright light where I need it. The house is tidy and Neil is making pizza for dinner (Neil's pizzas are the best in the world, believe me). 
We watched a new TV crime drama (Blindspot). Not too sure about it, so I will probably watch the next episode. It is most unusual for us to watch something together, I enjoyed that moment. 
Glass of wine, no music - catching up on emails and facebook. 
Now to get into my schmatte and dressing gown, ready for bed
 

2 comments:

  1. Aha !! This is not an obscure term in Hindy's world. Schmattes is what she calls her collection of rags in a bag. They are former ragged garments, now torn into what I would call rags and she calls schmatte. Used for cleaning windows, wiping up spills, polishing, you name it. Milk spills in the kitchen and she will say "get me a schmatte"!. Wonder if it has a German/Polish/Yiddish background (etymology).


    Still can't believe you had nothing for propinquity...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, from the yiddish shmate meaning 'rag', from the polish szmata. In english since mid 1900s

    I wasn't well

    ReplyDelete