Sunday 15 November 2015

Diaphanous

I shouldn't be surprised at my knowledge of English words - after all, I come from a family of logophiles and I have a degree, part of which was studying the roots and usage of the English language - but I have been pleased this week that I have known nearly every WOTD and it's meaning. Today's word means very sheer & light, transparently delicate, like a fairy's wings. It comes to us from the Greek word meaning 'to show through'.
I imagine that the word can also be applied metaphorically - to some action or personality trait. It is hard to see how diaphanous applies to me in any way, literally or figuratively. Except that I thought I had the most diaphanous personality of anyone I know - no sub-plots, no hidden agenda. Really, what you see is what there is. But just lately, I have been feeling misunderstood and I am struggling to find the reason for this sudden loss of transparency. I trust it will all become clear again soon.
I full of admiration for Jacob who won a 5k race for the first time - in 45 mph wind, not always behind him!
Neil and I had lunch today in Hastings with a local author, someone who we had made friends with on facebook. She was intelligent and funny and chatty and kindly signed a couple of her books. I like to make new friends, and hope we will meet up with her again.





We came home and dozed until 6pm. Neil is now watching footie as I write my blog.
That's really it; nothing more than a pleasant bit of paperwork to round off the day.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed, you are not a diaphanous person. But hey, you can't own ALL the words in English!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember with great pleasure when Lidl cling film had its Greek name on the box: diaphanous membrane.

    ReplyDelete