Thursday 19 November 2015

Empyreal




This word has an unusual etymology if you understand its meaning as 'pertaining to the sky, celestial' because it comes from the Greek term 'empyrios' meaning 'fiery'. Empyreal does have an alternative meaning 'formed of pure fire or light' and you might talk of empyreal radiance.
You might! I don't think I have ever used this WOTD in my life and would find it hard to squeeze into today in the last 2 minutes before midnight.

I do love the sky, though, and enjoy the ever-changing light and patterns it presents. I also love the stars and planets, and I am particularly thrilled with the app on my phone (Skyview) which will show you all the stars and planets and even the position of the International Space Station and the Hubble Telescope.

  SkyView® Free- screenshot

You can see these images day and night from the comfort of your own sofa - no more craning your neck and peering into the inky blackness.

Productive day at work, quiet night (no footie!) chicken for dinner, early to bed, then I am up again at 11.30 with cramp. Perfect time to write my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment