Saturday 21 November 2015

Nominalize

I should have known this, having done English grammar as part of my degree, but my guesses were all wrong. Nominalize means to convert (another part of speech or phrase) into a noun or noun phrase. For example, changing 'To investigate' to 'the investigation' is to nominalize, or is a nominalization. I suppose we do it all the time without really knowing about it.
Neil and I have been talking about Facebook in the light of a recent study in which students were divided into two groups, and one group asked to go without Facebook for a week. They reported feeling generally happier and less lonely with an improved social life. We have often thought it bizarre that we sit in the same room, not talking, both busy 'Facebooking'. We have decided to give Facebook a miss for a week from Monday. If you have enjoyed reading my blogs, you can still do so; I just won't be posting them to Facebook. I will be interested to see whether my life is enriched after a week.
Today was the first day of winter, with temperatures only barely above freezing. Parts of East Sussex had some meaningful snow, although in Bexhill we only had a 5 minute flurry of sleety stuff, and all was gone by mid-morning once the sun appeared. Neil is hoping for serious snow, similar to this downpour in January 2010

 
Neil collected his repaired and 'blinged-up' car from the garage, where the expert, MG Simon, had put right the bodges of a previous owner and added some fancy touches. I left him to it, and went to work at the emergency dental clinic. 
Neil nearly scored 10/10 for his divine chicken and prawn stir fry, only losing half a point because he had failed to provide garlic bread!
Rekorderlig passion fruit cider, very tasty and (interestingly) completely colourless.
Total Prog tonight:- music from Fish, Genesis, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Steve Hackett, Anthony Philips and Nad Sylvan.

No comments:

Post a Comment